Here we want to share any cool news about our song writing experience, and as well as the experiences of others in our songwriting community. If we come across a particular book, website, course or other tip that we find useful we will pass it along, and if you find any useful tidbits, please feel free to pass them along to us.
DMH Music News:
- 2017 Gold winner at the 34th Annual Mid-Atlantic Song Contest, for “Bottle Or The Bible” in the Gospel/Christian/Inspirational category. Finalist, for “Terms And Conditions” in the Open category, and receiving Honorable Mention, for “Let You Go” in the Adult Contemporary category.
- 2016 Grand Prize Winner-Session II for the John Lennon Songwriting Contest, for “Tidal Wave” in the country category.
- Songs place in the top ten in the 2016 Frank Brown Songwriting Contest.
- Songs receive honorable mentions in the SongDoor 2016 International Songwriting Competition, in the Country and Pop Categories
- “No One Knows,” second place winner at the 2016 Mid-Atlantic Contest and honorable mention for “Magic” in the Pop Category and honorable mention for “Sunset View” in the Open Category.
- “No One Knows,” placed in the top ten at the 2016 Pensacola Beach Song Contest
- Selected to attend the September 16-18, 2016 GSC Focus Event.
- Songs placed in top ten at the 2015 Pensacola Songwriting Contest
- Songs placed in top ten and honorable mention at the 2015 Frank Brown Songwriting Contest
Music Tips and Tidbits
- If you are a songwriter and you have not joined Global Songwriters Connection stop everything and check out their site and the tremendous opportunities they offer.
- If you are a songwriter whose focus is on film, TV and advertising check out hitlicense.
- If you are looking for opportunities and good advice on how to hone your songwriting skills, check out Man vs. Row offered by Brent Baxter, an accomplished pro songwriter in Nashville who shares his years of experience in a great blog.
- Confessions of a Serial Songwriter, Shelly Peiken, 2016
- Peter Guralnick’s book, Sam Phillips: The Man Who Invented Rock’n’Roll, 2015.
- Carly Simon’s Memoir, Boys in the Trees, 2015
- Steven Tyler’s Memoir, Does the Noise in My Head Bother You?, 2011
- Mo’ Meta Blues: The World According to Questlove, by Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson and Ben Greenman, 2015
- If you are planning a trip to Nashville don’t miss singer/songwriter Mason Douglas’ book, Now You Know Nashville. We had a chance to see Mason perform at the Listening Room during a visit to Nashville in December 2015 and he is awesome.
- Click here to read what the Nashville music industry is doing to better understand why female artist have more of a struggle than male artists in country music.